Is banana bread supposed to be a dessert bread or a breakfast bread? I had phases of time where I would try to make desserts “healthy” and then realized that the compromise on taste wasn’t worth it. Plus, when I ate it , I would justify that I could eat more of it because it was less caloric.
This banana bread just tastes good to me. It is sweet enough that it tastes like a dessert, yet has whole grains so it could pass for breakfast food! Sorry to whomever I might have deceived to click for more; I felt that this was too good of a recipe to have people ignore it because it had the word “whole wheat” in it.
This has the taste of bananas, but the heartiness and earthiness from the whole wheat flour, is not too sweet, and has a touch of cinnamon. I was a firm believer in only white flour banana bread, but this recipe has made me reconsider. See for yourself!
Makes a 9×5 inch loaf
only slightly adapted from King Arthur
½ cup butter, at room temperature
½ cup (106 g) packed light or dark brown sugar
¾ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 ½ cups (454 g) mashed ripe banana (3-4 medium to large bananas)
¼ cup (85 g) honey or brown sugar (53 g)
2 large eggs
2 cups (240 g) whole wheat flour, traditional or white whole wheat
½ cups (55 g) coarsely chopped walnuts
Cinnamon sugar (optional)
2) Beat together the butter, sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg
and vanilla in a medium bowl until smooth.
3) Use a pastry cutter or fork to mash up the bananas mostly finely; leave some chunks for texture.
4) Add the banana, honey and
eggs into the butter mixture from step 2, beating until smooth. Add the flour and nuts, stirring until
smooth. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan.
5) If you wish, mix some cinnamon and sugar and sprinkle atop the banana bread.
5) Bake the bread for 50 minutes. Lay a piece of foil over the top and bake 10-15 minutes longer until a cake tester or toothpick inserted into the a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
6) Take the bread out of the oven and let it cool in the pan 10 minutes before removing it. Remove the bread from the
oven and allow it to cool for 10 minutes before turning it out of the
pan onto a rack to cool completely.