How many people make tortillas at home? Did you know it’s actually really simple to do..?
adapted from Fine Cooking
Yields 8 tortillas
-9 oz (2 cups) flour
-1 tsp salt
-1/4 tsp baking powder
-1/4 cup animal fat or canola oil, cut into pieces
-2/3 cup hot water
1) Mix dry ingredients together. Add the oil or fat and mix until the mixture looks coarse and mealy. Add 2/3 cup hot water, and mix until the dough is shaggy. It WILL come together! Don’t worry. If it seems really too watery, you either added too much water, or the flour you used is very wet. In this case, add a little bit of flour- tsp at a time, until it is manageable. Knead for 3-4 minutes.
2) Separate into 8 equal balls/portions.
3) Cover with clean kitchen towels or bowls, and rest for between 30 min and 2 hr.
4) On a lightly floured surface with a floured rolling pin, roll out each ball to as thin of a round as possible without tearing it.
5) Cook on medium low on a cast iron pan until it starts to form bubbles and turn lightly brown, then flip! Cook about 2-3 minutes each side.
I stack mine on a cutting board to cool, then transfer to a zip top bag when I am done. If you don’t eat them within 1-2 days, it is best to store these in the freezer, as there are no preservatives or chemicals keeping them soft and/or mold free!
|Enjoy some homemade quesadillas!|